Troubleshooting SharePoint Timer Service Issues

From time to time I’ll come into work and notice that the Timer Service will be stopping unexpectedly. Every minute or so the timer service will stop and the server will start it again within another minute or two. It’s quite annoying and I’ve spent many a wasted morning tangling with it.  This post will be continually updated as I wrestle with the beast. Here are the steps I have so far. Start at #1 and work your way down until the problem fixes itself. Try to give about 5-10 minutes between each step:

  1. If you notice in the service console that the timer service is currently running hit “Restart the service”
  2. Do a full stop then start of the Timer Service
  3. Clear timer cache on farm (link)
  4. Update spfarmacc credentials
    • stsadm -o updatefarmcredentials -userlogin domain[timer service account] -password <>
  5. Check to make sure the ForeFront Identity Manager is running on your Sync server

Will continue to update with steps as I learn more.