So tonight I just finished applying the June 2012 CU. I took a look in Central Admin’s “Servers in Farm” page and noticed that the build number was 14.0.6123.5000. According to a variety of SharePoint heavyweights’ blogs and MSDN, it should be 14.0.6123.5002.
I ran and reran PSConfig 3 times. Still no change in the build numbers. WTF!
Event Viewer was fine. ULS was fine. The sites were fine. But I was starting to feel a twinge of panic.
Come to find out the last number in the sequence is the revision number. I ran across this TechNet post that put my mind to ease: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepoint2010setup/thread/f004c2c8-3614-41ab-aca5-cff836d8ac5d
The poster with the answer mentions the syntax for a build number is Major (14), Minor (0), Build (6123), Revision (5000/5002). From now on I’ll pay attention to the third number in the sequence. … Microsoft Shenanigans win again.